It’s Kids Clothes Week! August 8th – 14th, Kids Clothes Week challenges sewists to sew an hour a day for their kids. This is the first time I’ve participated and it’s perfect timing for back-to-school shopping. Everything is cut and ready to be sewn this week so I can avoid the time-consuming step of cutting and spend more time sewing this week.
I let Mini Me pick all the clothes she wanted sewn up, plus the fabrics. Surprisingly, she selected four dresses – including a fancy party dress and this first dress I sewed today – a maxi-length Girls’ Shirtzie by A Stitch Upon A Time. I’m dubbing this the Floor Length Gown – worth of any summer’s night celebration!
I tried to talk her out of the maxi-length. I told her it wouldn’t be good for the playground – that is would be hard for her to run and jump in it – but she was determined. Truth be told…I don’t like maxi-length dresses… I think it’s a holdover from being a child of the 70’s when maxis ruled. I also can’t stand rompers. For the life of me – why would a parent WANT to put a child in an outfit that has to be completely removed to go the bathroom? I grew up in the era of pantsuits and rompers – it was uncomfortable at best – tragically embarrassing at it’s worst. But I digress…
The Girl’s Shirtzie by Stitch Upon a Time
This is only my second time making a pattern from Stitch Upon a Time (or SUAT as they are affectionately known). I, of course, own the quintessential Scrundlewear for girls and women.
This is a very quick and straight forward sew. I completed almost the entire project on my serger / coverstitch with just a couple of trips to the sewing machine for the pocket attachment. The Shirtzie comes in four lengths – crop top, tunic, knee-length and maxi-length dress, which makes is a versatile pattern for any girl’s wardrobe. The top, waistband, cuffs and skirt are all separate pieces so you can mix and match fabrics to make each version unique. It also includes options for short, 3/4 and full length sleeves. The top is fully lined – I used a knit tricot lining fabric that I had in my stash.
As per my usual pattern, I had a couple of hiccoughs with this project – entirely of my own doing. I accidentally “forgot” to put right sides together at the waistband so I had the joyful task of unpicking serged stitching (fortunately I caught my mistake sooner rather than later). I have a tendency to make at least one error requiring a seam ripper every time I try a new pattern. Call it a right of passage I suppose.
She loves this dress. It flows, it has pockets, it’s super comfortable, it fits great, and did I mention it has pockets! What little girl doesn’t want an amazing flowing dress where she can also hide her treasures? The entire project was under three hours start-to-finish, including cutting.
The knit I used is a yarn-dyed stripe from my stash – originally purchased Purple Seamstress on Facebook. It has a gorgeous silver pinstripe between the other stripes that is very hard to see in the photos. It’s a lighter-weight knit but perfect for the length of the dress. I’m still a little shell-shocked by how much fabric goes into a maxi-skirt… I mean, I could have made two other projects from the fabric in the skirt alone! Luckily I had three yards of this in the stash and one of my sewing goals for the year is to sew down my stash.
I will definitely sew this again. With the length options and different fabrics, the possibilities for this pattern are endless!