I’m sew excited to be a part of this year’s Canada Cups 2017 blog tour! Last year I got to be boobie newbie on the tour making my very first structure bra (with underwire and everything!). You can see my (valiant) attempt on the blog.
This year we’re showcasing the wonderful world of “unwired” bras – bralettes, soft bras, sports bras…you get the picture. Now, as a woman of *ahem*, a certain bra size, I just don’t do unstructured bras on a daily basis but a sports bra – that’s up my alley. I mean who doesn’t need a great, comfortable sports bra to work-out (sleep) in?
The “T” sport bra pattern I selected is from “Lingerie Secrets” by Jan Bones. This is an amazingly speedy sew – from cutting to finished bra it was just over an hour. Because you’re working with a stretch knit, you’ll need a machine that can do a zigzag stitch. A serger is handy but not necessary. This pattern has a great size range as well – from small to 4X.
The pattern will accommodate up to a D cups and I really appreciated that it came in multiple cup sizes for a better fit. The “cups” are achieved with tucks at the side seam (between the front and back) but you could also gather along the edge to make the front and back line up.
I love the look of the tuck here and the bra is very comfortable.
All the edges are elasticized – 3/8″ elastic at the arms and neck and 3/4″ elastic at the lower edge. You just attach the elastic to the wrong side, flip and sew again to finish – easy peasy, lemon squeezy! I admit to having a slight love affair with the zigzag stitch although my machine was being a painful diva at times.
And because every bra needs a matching set up panties…I also made the Hipster Pantie by Jan Bones as well. I love how comfortable a boy cut or hipster panty is.
The pattern calls for 1″ stretch elastic at the waist and legs but I finished mine with lingerie elastic with a little picot edge.
I love the way the decorative edge peaks out over the top of the waistband!
Overall this was a very fun set to make and it’s incredibly comfortable. I’m sure I’m going to get a lot of works outs (sleep) in these!
But, because no trip to my sewing machine is ever complete without a mishap or two, I do want to share the important lesson I learned about proper fabric placement in this project. I have had this cute cotton lycra print in my stash for a while now and I thought it would be perfect for this set. It has the word “love” in white all over, and then some accent “love” in a faux gold glitter print.
Because I get in the zone while sewing, I failed to notice the lovely way in which this glorious print came together until I flipped the panties over to photograph the back and found this fabulous presentation…
And there you have it folks – fabric placement IS important if you don’t want to look like you’ve *#%! your pants…
Please check out the rest of this tour for the amazing sews by my fellow bloggers. We also have some great prizes and discounts available!
Prizes and Discounts
- A discount code from Funky Monkey -code: CC10 for 10% off store wide for the length of the tour. active until the 22nd 😊 Not valid on already discounted full bolts.
- 20% off storewide at Fabric Please (code: CANADACUPS during the tour)
- 10% discount at Midnight Mount Fabric Store (code: CANADACUPS10) during the tour
- A bra kit from Atelier Fiber Arts and Abrakdabra
- A bralette kit or scuba print from Bra-Makers Supply
- A 10% discount from Central Sewing Machines
- A pattern from Chelsea C Designs
- A Sophie swimsuit pattern from Closet Case Patterns
- 1 yard of in-stock fabric from Crookshanks Custom Textiles (winner splits shipping costs)
- A $25 Store voucher from Fabric Please
- A pattern from Favorite Things
- A discount code from Libelle Sewing
- A bralette kit from Braphoria
- A pattern from Ohhh Lulu Sews
- A pattern from Lingerie Secrets Patterns by Jan Bones
- A $30 coupon code to Midnight Mountain Fabricsstore good for pre-order and retail items
- A 10% discount from Central Sewing Machines
Canada Cups Tour 2017 Tour Schedule
Hang with us as we reveal our inner secrets. 😉
// Please note that none of these post links are available before the scheduled date. If you click on one too early, you will get an Error 404: Page not found. You know about those, right? //
Sunday, October 15
Monday, October 16
Tuesday, October 17
Wednesday, October 18
Thursday, October 19
Friday, October 20
Saturday, October 21
- Tour Wrap Party and Giveaway on Michelle’s Creations
Monday, October 23
- Giveaway winners announced on all the blogs:
Little Heart Threads, Glitter in my Coffee, Michelle’s Creations, Mrs. Weaver’s Finest Unmentionables, Gracious Threads, Élégantine!, That’s Sew Venice, Sprouting Jubejube, Flying by the Seam of my Pants, Filles à Maman